Planning and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager (10748C)
This course also helps candidates prepare for Exam 70-243, MCTS: Administering and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager. Both Configuration Manager courses, 10747D and 10748C, or the equivalent knowledge and skills will be necessary to prepare for the exam.
NOTE: Windows Intune is used as part of the lab for this course, which may not be available in all countries. Please confirm with your Microsoft training provider that this cloud service is available in your area. Training Providers: please reference the course setup guide for more details.
This course is intended for Information Technology (IT) professionals who are responsible for designing and deploying one or more System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager sites and all supporting systems. They should have three to five years of experience in medium to large enterprise organizations, in a role in which they are supporting multiple desktop and server computers that run Windows®-based operating systems.
This course is also for individuals who are interested in taking exam 70-243 TS: Administering and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager.
Both 10747D: Administering System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and 10748C: Planning and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager are necessary to prepare for this exam.
Before attending this course, students must have a working knowledge at the system-administrator level of:
- Networking fundamentals, including TCP/IP and Domain Name System (DNS)
- Active Directory® Domain Services (AD DS) principles and management
- Windows Server management including managing Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012
- Windows Client fundamentals
- Deployment, configuration, and troubleshooting for Windows-based personal computers
- Basic public key infrastructure (PKI) concepts
- Configuration Manager features and administrative tasks including:
- Working with the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager or newer administrator console
- Installing clients
- Maintaining hardware and software inventory
- Working with collections
- Deploying applications
- Managing software updates
- Deploying operating systems
- Settings management
Students who attend this training can meet the prerequisites by obtaining equivalent knowledge and skills or by attending the following courses
- Course 6419: Configuring, Managing, and Maintaining Windows Server® 2008–based Servers
- Course 20411: Administering Windows Server® 2012
- Course 20687: Configuring Windows® 8.1
- And Either
- Course 10747: Administering System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- Course 6451: Planning, Deploying, and Managing Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007
- Six months of hands-on experience with System Center 2012 Configuration Manager or newer
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager infrastructure.
- Plan and deploy a stand-alone primary site.
- Plan and configure role-based administration.
- Plan and deploy a multiple site hierarchy.
- Replicate data and manage content in Configuration Manager.
- Plan resource discovery and client deployment.
- Configure Internet and cloud-based client management.
- Maintain and monitor System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
- Migrate to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
Module 1: Overview of System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
This module explains the System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager infrastructure and the typical deployment scenarios.
- Introduction to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Overview of the Configuration Manager Site System Roles
- Overview of the Configuration Manager Optional Site System Roles
- Overview of Configuration Manager Deployment Scenarios
- Overview of the Configuration Manager Client
Module 2: Planning and Deploying a Stand-Alone Primary Site
This module explains how to plan and deploy a stand-alone primary site.
- Planning a Configuration Manager Stand-Alone Primary Site Deployment
- Preparing to Deploy a Configuration Manager Primary Site
- Installing a Configuration Manager Site Server
- Performing Post-Setup Configuration Tasks
- Tools for Monitoring and Troubleshooting a Configuration Manager Site
Module 3: Planning and Configuring Role-Based Administration
This module explains how to plan and configure Configuration Manager administrative users and access.
- Overview of Role-Based Administration
- Identifying IT Roles in Your Organization
- Configuring Role-Based Administration
Module 4: Planning and Deploying a Multiple-Site Hierarchy
This module explains how to plan and deploy a multiple site hierarchy including a central administration site, primary sites, and a secondary site.
- Planning a Configuration Manager 2012 Multiple-Site Hierarchy
- Deploying a Configuration Manager 2012 Site
- Deploying the Central Administration Site
- Deploying Primary Sites in a Hierarchy
- Deploying Secondary Sites
Module 5: Replicating Data and Managing Content in Configuration Manager 2012
This module explains how to plan, configure, and monitor data types, intersite communication, replication, and content.
- Introduction to Data Types and Replication
- Managing Data Replication
- Planning Content Management
Module 6: Planning Resource Discovery and Client Deployment
This module explains how to plan and use various methods to discover resources and deploy the Configuration Manager client.
- Identifying Resources by Using Configuration Manager Discovery Methods
- Client Deployment in Configuration Manager
- Deploying Windows-Based Configuration Manager Clients
- Managing Configuration Manager Clients
- Monitoring Client Status in Configuration Manager
Module 7: Configuring Internet and Cloud-Based Client Management
This module explains how to plan and configure Internet and cloud-based client management.
- Managing Remote Clients by Using System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Managing Internet-Based Configuration Manager Clients
- Configuring Cloud Services in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
Module 8: Maintaining and Monitoring System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
This module explains how to perform maintenance tasks and monitor the Configuration Manager site systems.
- Overview of Configuration Manager 2012 Site Maintenance
- Performing Backup and Recovery of a Configuration Manager Site
- Monitoring Configuration Manager 2012 Site Systems
Module 9: Migrating to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
This module explains how to perform migration tasks from Configuration Manager 2007 and upgrade Configuration Manager 2012 to Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 and then to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
- Overview of the Migration Process
- Preparing Configuration Manager 2007 Sites for Migration
- Configuring Migration Settings
- Migrating Objects
- Upgrading Configuration Manager 2012 to Configuration Manager 2012 with SP1 and then to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager