Managing Enterprise Desktops using the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (7197A)
The primary audience is IT Professionals focusing on desktop configuration, which could include Network Administrators, SMS Administrators, Field Consultants, Technical Business Consultants, and any other technical worker that is responsible for the types of tasks that can be automated or improved through the MDOP.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Active Directory knowledge and concepts including Group Policy.
- Windows Server 2003 knowledge and experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of SQL Server 2005.
- Fundamental knowledge of Windows Terminal Services.
- Fundamental knowledge of System Management Server 2003.
- Fundamental knowledge of Microsoft Operations Manager.
- Experience managing Windows desktops in an Enterprise environment.
After completing this course, students will walk away with a deep understanding of the Application Virtualization environment and be able to install, configure, administer, and troubleshoot the components. Students will also be able to install and utilize the MDOP components and understand their position in the desktop management process.
Module 1: Optimizing Windows Desktop Management in the Enterprise
This module explains key desktop manageability challenges and identifies MDOP applications that can address those challenges.
- Desktop Management in the Enterprise
- Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack Overview
Module 2: Controlling Group Policy Objects Using Advanced Group Policy Management
This module explains how to use AGPM to manage controlled group policy objects.
- Overview of Advanced Group Policy Management
- Configuring Advanced Group Policy Management
- Introduction to Controlling Group Policy Objects
- Managing Group Policy Using AGPM
Module 3: Monitoring Desktops Using Microsoft Desktop Error Monitoring
This module explains how Desktop Error Monitoring can be configured to provide a centralized collection location of computer events and error messages.
- Overview of Microsoft Desktop Error Monitoring
- Installing and Configuring Desktop Error Monitoring
Module 4: Managing Software Inventory Using the Asset Inventory Service
This module explains how to use the Microsoft Asset Inventory Service to manage software inventory.
- Asset Inventory Service (AIS) Overview
- Deploying AIS Clients
- Managing Computers Reporting to AIS
- Managing Software Inventory
Module 5: Repairing and Diagnosing Computer Systems Using the Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset
This module explains how to use the Diagnostics and Recover Toolset to recover computer systems.
- Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset Overview
- Recovering Computer Systems with ERD Commander
- Administrative Tools Category Overview
- Networking Tools Category Overview
- Systems Tools Category Overview
- Differences Between DaRT 5 and DaRT 6
Module 6: Introduction to the Microsoft Application Virtualization Management System
This module explains application virtualization concepts and how the components of Microsoft Application Virtualization Management system address the various phases of the Application Management Lifecycle.
- Application Management Lifecycle
- Benefits of Application Virtualization
- Microsoft Application Virtualization Management Overview
Module 7: Application Virtualization Management Architecture
This module explains the general architecture of Application Virtualization Management.
- Elements of Application Virtualization
- Requirements and Interaction of Application Virtualization Components
- Requirements and Interactions of the Application Virtualization Streaming Server
Module 8: Planning and Deploying the Application Virtualization Management System
This module explains how to plan the supporting infrastructure and determine the appropriate deployment scenario and installation for an Application Virtualization Management System.
- Planning the Supporting Infrastructure
- Planning Deployment Scenarios
- Overview of the Server Installation Process
Module 9: Planning and Installing the Application Virtualization Client
This module explains how to plan for the deployment of the Application Virtualization Client and then install and perform client configuration tasks.
- Planning the Application Virtualization Client Deployment
- Installing and Configuring the Application Virtualization Client
- Managing Client Configuration Features
Module 10: Administering the Application Virtualization Management Server
This module explains how to use the Application Virtualization Management Console to publish applications into the application virtualization environment and configure active upgrades.
- Overview of the Application Virtualization Management Console
- Publishing Applications into the Application Virtualization Environment
- Modifying Published Applications and Configuring Version Upgrades
Module 11: Advanced Application Virtualization Administration Tasks
This module explains how to create new provider policies to apply specific settings such as license enforcement to specific users.
- Creating and Configuring Provider Policies
- Enforcing License Compliance
- Managing Server Groups and Server Objects
Module 12: Planning and Deploying the Application Virtualization Sequencer
This module explains how to perform various sequence scenarios using the Application Virtualization Sequencer.
- Overview of the Application Virtualization Sequencer
- Planning the Sequencer Environment
- Installing and Configuring the Application Virtualization Sequencer
- Sequencing Applications for Virtualization
Module 13: Advanced Sequencing
This module explains how to perform advanced sequence scenarios.
- Upgrading Existing Packages
- Advanced Package Options
- Hard-coded Applications
- Sequencing a Web-based Application
- Standalone Packages