MOC On-Demand Packaged Set 20463D: Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (180 Day) (Q4P-00276)
Note: This course is designed for customers who are interested in learning SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2014. It covers the new features in SQL Server 2014, but also the important capabilities across the SQL Server data platform.
Microsoft On Demand
Microsoft Official Courses On-Demand (MOC On-Demand) blend video, text, hands-on labs and knowledge checks to help you build your Microsoft technology skills on your own schedule, at your own pace and in your own place. No need to spend time and money travelling to a classroom location or adhering to classroom hours with a computer and an Internet connection, your Microsoft Official Courses On-Demand come to you, any time.
- Microsoft On Demand covers the same objectives as the classroom course by the same name
- After you activate your course, you have 6 months to complete it. You can work on your course at any time throughout the 6-month period after you activate the course.
- Microsoft On Demand Course ODX20463D (includes Microsoft Labs Online)
- Digital courseware Course 20463D
This course is intended for database professionals who need to fulfil a Business Intelligence Developer role. They will need to focus on hands-on work creating BI solutions including Data Warehouse implementation, ETL, and data cleansing. Primary responsibilities include:
- Implementing a data warehouse.
- Developing SSIS packages for data extraction, transformation, and loading.
- Enforcing data integrity by using Master Data Services.
- Cleansing data by using Data Quality Services.
This course requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
- At least 2 years’ experience of working with relational databases, including:
- Designing a normalized database.
- Creating tables and relationships.
- Querying with Transact-SQL.
- Some exposure to basic programming constructs (such as looping and branching).
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe data warehouse concepts and architecture considerations.
- Select an appropriate hardware platform for a data warehouse.
- Design and implement a data warehouse.
- Implement Data Flow in an SSIS Package.
- Implement Control Flow in an SSIS Package.
- Debug and Troubleshoot SSIS packages.
- Implement an ETL solution that supports incremental data extraction.
- Implement an ETL solution that supports incremental data loading.
- Implement data cleansing by using Microsoft Data Quality Services.
- Implement Master Data Services to enforce data integrity.
- Extend SSIS with custom scripts and components.
- Deploy and Configure SSIS packages.
- Describe how BI solutions can consume data from the data warehouse.
Module 1: Introduction to Data Warehousing
This module provides an introduction to the key components of a data warehousing solution and the high-level considerations you must take into account when you embark on a data warehousing project.
- Overview of Data Warehousing
- Considerations for a Data Warehouse Solution
Module 2: Data Warehouse Hardware Considerations
This module discusses considerations for selecting hardware and distributing SQL Server facilities across servers.
- Considerations for building a Data Warehouse
- Data Warehouse Reference Architectures and Appliances
Module 3: Designing and Implementing a Data Warehouse
This module describes the key considerations for the logical design of a data warehouse, and then discusses best practices for its physical implementation.
- Logical Design for a Data Warehouse
- Physical design for a data warehouse
Module 4: Creating an ETL Solution with SSIS
This module discusses considerations for implementing an ETL process, and then focuses on Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) as a platform for building ETL solutions.
- Introduction to ETL with SSIS
- Exploring Data Sources
- Implementing Data Flow
Module 5: Implementing Control Flow in an SSIS Package
This module describes how to implement ETL solutions that combine multiple tasks and workflow logic.
- Introduction to Control Flow
- Creating Dynamic Packages
- Using Containers
- Managing Consistency
Module 6: Debugging and Troubleshooting SSIS Packages
This module describes how you can debug packages to find the cause of errors that occur during execution. It then discusses the logging functionality built into SSIS that you can use to log events for troubleshooting purposes. Finally, the module describes common approaches for handling errors in control flow and data flow.
- Debugging an SSIS Package
- Logging SSIS Package Events
- Handling Errors in an SSIS Package
Module 7: Implementing an Incremental ETL Process
This module describes the techniques you can use to implement an incremental data warehouse refresh process.
- Introduction to Incremental ETL
- Extracting Modified Data
- Loading Modified data
Module 8: Enforcing Data Quality
This module introduces Microsoft SQL Server Data Quality Services (DQS), and describes how you can use it to cleanse and deduplicate data.
- Introduction to Data Quality
- Using Data Quality Services to Cleanse Data
- Using Data Quality Services to Match data
Module 9: Using Master Data Services
Master Data Services provides a way for organizations to standardize data and improve the quality, consistency, and reliability of the data that guides key business decisions. This module introduces Master Data Services and explains the benefits of using it.
- Master Data Services Concepts
- Implementing a Master Data Services Model
- Managing Master Data
- Creating a Master Data Hub
Module 10: Extending SQL Server Integration Services
This module describes the techniques you can use to extend SSIS. The module is not designed to be a comprehensive guide to developing custom SSIS solutions, but to provide an awareness of the fundamental steps required to use custom components and scripts in an ETL process that is based on SSIS.
- Using Scripts in SSIS
- Using Custom Components in SSIS
Module 11: Deploying and Configuring SSIS Packages
In this module, students will learn how to deploy packages and their dependencies to a server, and how to manage and monitor the execution of deployed packages.
- Overview of SSIS Deployment
- Deploying SSIS Projects
- Planning SSIS Package Execution
Module 12: Consuming Data in a Data Warehouse
This module introduces business intelligence (BI) solutions and describes how you can use a data warehouse as the basis for enterprise and self-service BI.
- Introduction to Business Intelligence
- Introduction to Reporting
- An Introduction to Data Analysis