Managing SQL Business Intelligence Operations (90 Day) - On Demand (OD10988B)
Microsoft On Demand
Microsoft Official Courses On-Demand (MOC On-Demand) blend video, text, hands-on labs and knowledge checks to help you build your Microsoft technology skills on your own schedule, at your own pace and in your own place. No need to spend time and money travelling to a classroom location or adhering to classroom hours with a computer and an Internet connection, your Microsoft Official Courses On-Demand come to you, any time.
- Microsoft On Demand covers the same objectives as the classroom course by the same name
- After you activate your course, you have 6 months to complete it. You can work on your course at any time throughout the 6-month period after you activate the course.
The primary audience for this course are business intelligence professionals.
The secondary audiences for this course are technically proficient business users.
In addition to their professional experience, students who attend this training should already have the following technical knowledge:
- Some basic knowledge of data warehouse schema topology (including star and snowflake schemas)
- Some exposure to basic programming constructs (such as looping and branching)
- An awareness of key business priorities such as revenue, profitability, and financial accounting is desirable.
- Familiarity with SharePoint Server and Microsoft Office applications – particularly Excel
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe key features of a self-service BI solution
- Describe the key capabilities of SQL Server BI in a SharePoint environment
- Describe common Analysis Services operational tasks
- Describe PowerPivot for SharePoint server
- Describe Power Query
- Describe Windows Azure HDInsight
Module 1: Introduction to Operational Management in BI Solutions
This module is designed to set the scene for the rest of the course.
- Rationale for BI Operations
- Roles in BI Operations
- Technologies Used in BI Operations
- Environment and Operational Standards
Module 2: Configuring BI Components
This module focuses on optimizing the data platforms on which the BI solutions reside, adhering to best practice to meet the requirements of the business.
- The Importance of Standardized Builds
- Configuration Considerations for BI Technologies
- BI Architectures
- SharePoint BI Environments
Module 3: Managing Business Intelligence Security
This module discusses how managing the security of data within an organization should be the first priority for any operational team.
- Security Approach to BI Solutions
- Security Components
- Security Approach for BI Components
- The Security Approach in Different BI Environments
Module 4: Deploying BI Solutions
This module helps you to understand the tools that are available and the benefits they offer will help you to pick the right tool for the job and aid deployment.
- Application Life Cycle Management for BI Solution
- Stand-Alone Deployments
- Team-Based Deployments
Module 5: Logging and Monitoring in BI Operations
This module introduces techniques to ensure the continued service of key applications that are used within the business.
- The Need for Logging and Monitoring
- Logging Options
- Monitoring Options
- Setting Up Alerts
Module 6: Troubleshooting BI Solutions
This module introduces techniques to troubleshoot failed BI operations.
- Troubleshoot Failed BI Solutions
- Troubleshooting the Data Warehouse
- Troubleshooting SQL Server Analysis Services
- Troubleshooting SQL Server Reporting Services
Module 7: Performance Tuning BI Queries
This module introduces tuning the query aspects of the BI solution to improve performance.
- The Need for Performance Tuning
- BI Queries to Performance Tune
- Tools for Performance Tuning
- Remediating Performance Issues