Developing SQL Data Models (20768C)
The focus of this 3-day instructor-led course is on creating managed enterprise BI solutions. It describes how to implement both multidimensional and tabular data models and how to create cubes, dimensions, measures, and measure groups. This course helps you prepare for the Exam 70-768.
The primary audience for this course are database professionals who need to fulfil BI Developer role to create enterprise BI solutions.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Implementing multidimensional databases by using SQL Server Analysis Services
- Creating tabular semantic data models for analysis by using SQL Server Analysis Services
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Experience of querying data using Transact-SQL
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the components, architecture, and nature of a BI solution
- Create a multidimensional database with Analysis Services
- Implement dimensions in a cube
- Implement measures and measure groups in a cube
- Use MDX syntax
- Customize a cube
- Implement a tabular database
- Use DAX to query a tabular model
- Use data mining for predictive analysis
Module 1: Introduction to Business Intelligence and Data Modeling
This module introduces key BI concepts and the Microsoft BI product suite.
- Introduction to Business Intelligence
- The Microsoft business intelligence platform
Module 2: Creating Multidimensional Databases
This module describes how to create multidimensional databases using SQL Server Analysis Services.
- Introduction to Multidimensional Analysis
- Data Sources and Data Source Views
- Overview of Cube Security
- Configure SSAS
- Monitoring SSAS
Module 3: Working with Cubes and Dimensions
This module describes how to implement dimensions in a cube.
- Configuring Dimensions
- Defining Attribute Hierarchies
- Implementing Sorting and Grouping Attributes
- Slowly Changing Dimensions
Module 4: Working with Measures and Measure Groups
This module describes how to implement measures and measure groups in a cube.
- Working with Measures
- Working with Measure Groups
Module 5: Introduction to MDX
This module describes the MDX syntax and how to use MDX.
- MDX fundamentals
- Adding Calculations to a Cube
- Using MDX to Query a Cube
Module 6: Customizing Cube Functionality
This module describes how to customize a cube.
- Implementing Key Performance Indicators
- Implementing Actions
- Implementing Perspectives
- Implementing Translations
Module 7: Implementing a Tabular Data Model by Using Analysis Services
This module describes how to implement a tabular data model in Power Pivot.
- Introduction to Tabular Data Models
- Creating a Tabular Data Model
- Using an Analysis Services Tabular Data Model in an Enterprise BI Solution
Module 8: Introduction to Data Analysis Expression (DAX)
This module describes how to use DAX to create measures and calculated columns in a tabular data model.
- DAX Fundamentals
- Using DAX to Create Calculated Columns and Measures in a Tabular Data Model
Module 9: Performing Predictive Analysis with Data Mining
This module describes how to use data mining for predictive analysis.
- Overview of Data Mining
- Creating a Custom Data Mining Solution
- Validating a Data Mining Model
- Connecting to and Consuming a Data-Mining Model
- Using the Data Mining add-in for Excel