IBM DiskMagic Workshop (U5IBMDMG)
This class is targeting storage technical sales and support colleagues at IBM Business Partners, as well as IBMers, who want to learn more about the best-practices around accurate storage sizing.
The participants should ideally have some experience with the Disk Magic sizing and modelling tool.
- Recap Disk Magic and performance modelling (terminology; differences Flash, RI SSDs, Enterprise SAS, Nearline; possible internal bottlenecks)
- Data collection: What, when, why (methods), I/O peak identification, automated input of IBM Spectrum Control and operating-system performance data; questions to ask the client
- Tool Disk Magic: Base & Solve. Modelling of All-Flash Arrays (FlashSystem), Compression with All-Flash Arrays
- Tool Disk Magic:
- Replacement of legacy storage systems with new products, system consolidation
- 'Report' function; demonstrate effects of adding more cache, more disks, more disks in lower tier, changing the flash ratio in a hybrid (multi-tier) storage system, changing RAID levels
- correct modelling with IBM Easy Tier
- Virtualisation (SVC) of unvirtualised storage: Specifics SVC and IBM Storwize, modelling of compression with IBM Spectrum Virtualize
- Modelling PPRC: Synchronous and asynchronous PPRC
- Modelling IBM i: Automatic data collection and examples with IBM i
- Hands-on demos with the tool, Q&A