Introduction to Microsoft Azure for IT Professionals (10979F)
This course introduces students to the principles of cloud computing. Students will become familiar with how these principles have been implemented in Microsoft Azure. In addition, this course explains how to implement the core Azure infrastructure, consisting of virtual networks and storage. With this foundation, students will be able to create the most common Azure services, including Azure Virtual Machines, Web Apps, and Azure SQL Database. The students will also learn about container-based Azure services and the most prominent examples of serverless computing. The course concludes by describing features of Azure Active Directory (Azure AD).
This course is intended for individuals who want to evaluate deploying, configuring, and administering services and virtual machines (VMs) by using Azure. This includes:
- Developers who want to evaluate creating Azure solutions.
- Windows Server administrators who want to evaluate the migration of on-premises Active Directory roles and services to the cloud.
- IT professionals who want to evaluate the use of Azure to host websites and mobile app back-end services.
- Database administrators who want to evaluate the use of Azure to host SQL databases.
At Course Completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe cloud computing, Azure, and Azure subscriptions.
- Use Azure PowerShell, the Azure Software Development Kit (SDK), and the Azure command-line interface (CLI) to manage Azure subscriptions.
- Create and configure virtual machines in Azure, and manage their disks.
- Create, configure, and monitor web apps in Azure and deploy Azure platform as a service (PaaS) cloud services.
- Create and configure Azure virtual networks.
- Create, manage, and configure cloud storage in Azure.
- Use Azure SQL Database to create, configure, and manage SQL databases.
- Create and manage Azure AD.
Before attending this course, students must have a background in IT. In addition to their professional experience, students who attend this training should already have the following technical knowledge:
- Understanding of how to deploy websites
- A basic understanding of virtualization
- A basic understanding of Active Directory concepts, including domains, users, and domain controllers
- A basic understanding of database concepts, including tables and simple queries
Module 1: Getting started with Microsoft Azure
This module introduces students to cloud services and the various Azure services. It describes how to use the Azure portal to access and manage Azure services, and to manage Azure subscription and billing.
- What is cloud computing?
- What is Azure?
- Managing Azure
- Subscription management, support, and billing
- Customizing the Azure portal interface
- Viewing billing, usage, and quotas data
- Describe cloud computing.
- Describe Azure and its various services.
- Manage Azure services from the Azure portal.
- Manage your Azure subscription and billing.
This module explains Azure PowerShell and its use in managing Azure subscriptions. It also describes how to use the Azure SDK and the Azure CLI to manage Azure subscriptions.
- What is Azure PowerShell?
- Azure SDK and Azure CLI
- Using the Azure PowerShell modules
- Using the Azure CLIAfter completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe and use Azure PowerShell to manage your Azure subscription.
- Describe the Visual Studio Tools for Azure and use the Azure CLI to manage your Azure subscription.
This module explains how to create and configure virtual machines in Azure and how to manage disks for virtual machines.
- Creating and configuring Azure VMs
- Configuring Azure VM storage
- Creating a VM from the Azure portal by using an Azure Marketplace image
- Verifying the functionality of the VM
- Configuring storage of a VM
- Create and configure VMs in Azure.
- Configure VM availability.
- Configure disks for VMs.
This module explains how to create, configure, and monitor web apps in Azure.
- Creating and configuring Azure web apps
- Deploying and monitoring Azure web apps
- Creating and configuring an Azure web app
- Create and configure web apps in Microsoft Azure.
- Deploy and monitor Azure web apps.
This module explains how to create and implement Azure networks and how to use their components to enhance the resiliency and availability of virtual machines.
- Getting started with Azure networking
- Getting started with Azure Load Balancer
- Creating a virtual network
- Creating an Azure load balancer
- Describe the purpose and functionality of Azure networking and Azure virtual networks.
- Create Azure virtual networks.
- Describe and implement Azure Load Balancer.
This module explains the features and benefits of Azure storage and data services.
- Understanding Azure Storage options
- Creating and managing storage
- Understanding options for relational database deployments
- Creating and connecting to Azure SQL databases
- Creating and configuring an Azure Storage account
- Creating and managing blobs
- Creating a new Azure SQL database in Azure and configuring SQL Server firewall rules
- Managing content of an Azure SQL database by using SQL Server Management Studio
- Describe the features and benefits of Microsoft Azure Storage.
- Create and manage Azure Storage.
- Describe options for relational database deployment in Microsoft Azure.
- Create, connect to, and manage the content of Microsoft Azure SQL Database instances.
This module explains the options for implementing containers and describes the serverless technologies available in Azure.
- Implementing Windows and Linux containers in Azure
- Introduction to Azure serverless computing
- Implementing Docker hosts on Azure VMs
- Deploying containers to Azure VMs
- Deploying multicontainer applications with Docker Compose to Azure VMs
- Describe the options for implementing containers in Azure.
- Describe the serverless technologies available in Azure.
This module explains how to create users, domains, and directories in Azure AD, integrate applications with Azure AD, and use Multi-Factor Authentication.
- Overview of Azure AD
- Manage Azure AD authentication and authorization
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- Create and manage Azure AD tenants, domains, and users.
- Manage Azure AD authentication and authorization.