Data Upgrade and Code Upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics® AX 2012 (80420A)
The course will cover the flow of the Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 SP1 to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 RTM upgrade, and point out any differences for Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 SP2 during the course. Labs and demos will run on Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 SP1 and Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012.
The ideal breakdown for this course would be to have the first two days cover the data upgrade. This would be focused in the implementer partner to include the personas of Simon and Tim. The third day of the course would cover the code upgrade and focus on the developer persona of Isaac and would include Tim from a planning perspective and Simon as the customer/partner.
This course is intended for…
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Developer knowledge in Microsoft Dynamics® AX 2012
- Developer knowledge in Microsoft Dynamics® AX 2009
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Introduce the Source-to-target framework.
- Discuss key features of Microsoft Dynamics® AX 2012 upgrade.
- Describe the system architecture that is needed to perform an upgrade from Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 or Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012.
- List the available options for cleaning data before an upgrade.
- Describe the best practices to run an upgrade.
- Configure Microsoft Dynamics AX and Microsoft SQL Server for high upgrade performance.
- Understand project planning challenges.
- Explain the steps to upgrade code from Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 or Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012.
- Discuss ways that Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 has changed code that might affect a code upgrade.
- Review the different kinds of data upgrade scripts.
- Explain how to write source upgrade scripts.
- Describe specific strategies for writing scripts.
- Discuss some changes in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 that affect data upgrades.
- Discuss techniques for debugging scripts.
- Perform a data upgrade.
Module 1: Overview
This module provides an overview of the Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 upgrade framework.
- Source-To-Target Framework
- Preprocessing Framework
- Upgrade Key Features
- Upgrade References
An upgrade is a large and complex project with many dependencies and complications. Understanding the structure and prerequisites to an upgrade, in addition to careful project planning, can help ensure a successful upgrade.
- Requirements for a Successful Upgrade
- Data Preparation
- Upgrade Readiness
- Upgrade Best Practices
- Configuration for Performance
- Project Planning
This module discusses code upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012. Upgrading Microsoft Dynamics AX code is an important part of any upgrade, especially when the earlier system has customized code.
- Code Customization
- Code Upgrade Process
- Detect Upgrade Conflicts
- Changes in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 that Affect Code
This module covers the data upgrade framework which drives the data upgrade scripts that transform data from an earlier version of Microsoft Dynamics AX to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012.
- Data Upgrade Scripts
- Install Upgrade Framework Files
- Source Upgrade Scripts
- Target Data Upgrade Scripts
- Remove Obsolete Objects with Configuration Keys
- Virtual Company Considerations
- Write Scripts
- Changes in Microsoft Dynamics AX that Affect Data Upgrade
- Adding Checklist Items
This module walks through the entire process of performing a data upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012, by using hands-on demonstrations instead of labs.
- Prepare the Source
- Preprocessing Upgrade State Transfer Tool
- Prepare the Target
- Data Upgrade
This module reviews all of the upgrade concepts covered throughout this course.
- Code Upgrade
- Data Upgrade
- Perform a Data Upgrade