Cloud Automation Using Contrail (CAC)
This five-day course is designed to provide students with the knowledge required to work with the Juniper Contrail software-defined networking (SDN) solution. Students will gain in-depth knowledge of how to use the OpenStack and Contrail Web UIs, APIs and CLI to perform the required tasks. Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience with the features of Contrail. This course is based on Contrail Release 4.1.0.
This course benefits individuals responsible for working with software-defined networking solutions in data center, service provider, and enterprise network environments.
The prerequisites for this course are as follows:
- Basic TCP/IP skills;
- General understanding of data center virtualization;
- Basic understanding of the Junos operating system;
- Attendance of the Juniper Cloud Fundamentals (JCF) course prior to attending this class; and
- Basic knowledge of object-oriented programming and Python scripting is recommended.
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Explain the definition and main principles of SDN.
- Discuss the NFV framework.
- Explain the role of Contrail SDN Controller.
- List available Contrail solutions.
- Describe the purpose of OpenStack.
- Identify the function of each of the main OpenStack Projects.
- Use the OpenStack CLI.
- Describe OpenStack REST APIs and Python SDK.
- Use OpenStack Heat Orchestration Templates.
- Configure OpenStack using Horizon Web UI and Heat.
- Describe the main features of Contrail.
- Discuss different Contrail use cases.
- Describe Contrail related solutions.
- Describe the functions of the Contrail vRouter.
- Describe the functions of the Contrail SDN Controller.
- Understand containerized Contrail modules.
- Explain the role of different node types in Contrail.
- Use Contrail troubleshooting tools.
- Describe available Contrail configuration methods.
- Configure Contrail Virtual DNS services.
- Create virtual networks.
- Create policies to control the flow of traffic.
- Use Contrail Configuration API.
- Explain how virtual and physical networks can be connected.
- Configure Floating IPs.
- Use physical gateway devices with Contrail.
- Configure physical devices with Device Manager.
- Use simple virtual gateway.
- Explain underlay connectivity without gateway.
- Explain Contrail integration with Kubernetes and OpenShift.
- Use BGP as a Service feature.
- Understand Graceful Restart Capabilities.
- Describe QoS support in Contrail.
- Understand Load Balancing as a Service.
- Describe vRouter support for DPDK, SR-IOV and SmartNICs.
- Understand Contrail Global Controller.
- Describe service chaining within Contrail.
- Understand service chains version 1 and version 2.
- Configure In-Network service chains.
- Configure Transparent service chains.
- Configure Source NAT.
- Use Heat to automate service deployment.
- Understand details of service chain routing.
- Use routing policies.
- Troubleshoot service chains.
- Explain the use of Docker containers in service chains.
- Describe Physical Network Function integration.
- Explain how to route traffic from physical network via Contrail service chain.
- Explain the functions of Contrail Analytics.
- Describe how to work with the Monitor workspace.
- Discuss how to run flow queries and examine system logs.
- Use Contrail Analytics API.
- Work with Contrail Alarms.
- Understand how to analyze live traffic with Contrail.
- Describe Underlay Overlay mapping.
- Explain the need for Contrail Security.
- Discuss multidimensional firewall policy configuration.
- Use tags and labels.
- Discuss traffic visualization with Contrail Security.
- Explain pre-installation tasks and roles.
- Describe Server Manager and Server Manager Lite.
- Describe Contrail installation using Server Manager Lite.
- Describe additional settings and operations.
Recommended Next Course
Network Automation in the Enterprise Cloud (NAEC)
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: SDN, NFV, and Contrail
- Review of SDN and NFV
- Contrail Solution Overview
Chapter 3: OpenStack Fundamentals
- OpenStack Overview
- OpenStack Projects
- Exploring OpenStack Installation and Using CLI
- Lab 1: Exploring OpenStack with the CLI
Chapter 4: OpenStack Configuration
- OpenStack Interface Options
- Using OpenStack Heat Templates
- OpenStack Configuration
- Lab 2: Configuring OpenStack
Chapter 5: Contrail Overview
- Contrail Use Cases
- Contrail Solution Overview
- Contrail Related Solutions
Chapter 6: Contrail Architecture Fundamentals
- Contrail Architecture Overview
- Contrail Management and Analytics
- Contrail Control Plane
- Contrail Data Plane
- Basic Contrail Troubleshooting
- Lab 3: Exploring and Troubleshooting the Contrail vRouter and SDN Controller
Chapter 7: Contrail Configuration Basics
- Contrail Configuration Methods
- vRouter Services
- Configuring Virtual Networks
- Configuring Network Policies and Security Groups
- Contrail API Python Library
- Lab 4: Virtual Networks and Policies
Chapter 8: Interacting with External Networks
- Connecting Virtual and Physical Networks
- Floating IPs
- Using Device Manager
- Configuring Simple Virtual Gateway
- Underlay Connectivity without Gateway
- Lab 5: Creating Floating IPs and Gateways
Chapter 9: Contrail Network Services
- Contrail and Container Networking
- BGP as a Service
- Graceful Restart Capabilities
- Implementing CoS
- Load Balancing as a Service Overview
- vRouter Support for DPDK and SR-IOV
- Contrail Global Controller Overview
- Lab 6: Contrail Network Services
Chapter 10: Contrail Service Chains
- Service Chaining Overview
- In-Network Service Chain and Configuration
- Transparent Service Chain and Configuration
- Configuring Source NAT
- Automating Service Chaining
- Lab 7: Creating Contrail Service Chains
Chapter 11: Advanced Service Chaining
- Advanced Operation
- Service Chain with Docker Containers
- Physical Network Function Integration
- NFV for ISP Case Study
- Lab 8: Advanced Service Chain Operation and Troubleshooting
Chapter 12: Contrail Monitoring and Analytics
- Analytics Overview
- Monitor > Infrastructure Workspace
- Monitor > Networking Workspace
- Flow Queries, Logs, and Statistics
- Configuring Contrail Analytics
- Analytics API
- Lab 9: Using Contrail Analytics
Chapter 13: Analyzing Network State and Traffic Flows
- Contrail Alarms
- Analyzing Live Traffic
- Underlay Overlay Mapping
- Lab 10: Analyzing Traffic Flows with Contrail Analytics
Chapter 14: Contrail Security
- The Need for Contrail Security
- Contrail Security Configuration
- Monitoring and Visualization
Chapter 15: Contrail Installation
- Pre-Installation and Roles
- Server Manager Overview
- Installation using Server Manager Lite
- Additional Settings and Operations
- Lab 11: Installing Contrail