Cloud Automation Using Contrail (CAC)
This five-day course is designed to provide students with the knowledge required to work with the Juniper Contrail Enterprise Multicloud (CEM) solution. Students will gain in-depth knowledge of how to use the Contrail Command user interface, Contrail Networking, Contrail’s fabric management and administration features, Contrail Security, and the analytics features of Contrail Insights.
Students will also learn to use APIs and the CLI to perform the Contrail configuration tasks. Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience with the features of Contrail and Insights. This course is based on Contrail Release 2011
This course benefits individuals responsible for working with software-defined networking solutions in data center, service provider, and enterprise network environments.
- Basic TCP/IP skills
- General understanding of data center virtualization
- Basic understanding of the Junos operating system
- Completion of the Junos Cloud Fundamentals (JCF) course or equivalent knowledge
- Completion of the Data Center Fabric with EVPN and VXLAN (ADCX) course or equivalent knowledge
- Basic knowledge of objectoriented programming and Python scripting
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Explain the definition and main principles of SDN.
- Discuss the NFV framework.
- Explain the role of Contrail SDN Controller.
- List available Contrail solutions.
- Describe the purpose of OpenStack.
- Identify the function of each of the main OpenStack Projects.
- Use the OpenStack CLI.
- Describe OpenStack REST APIs and Python SDK.
- Use OpenStack Heat Orchestration Templates.
- Configure OpenStack using Horizon Web UI and Heat.
- Describe the main features of Contrail.
- Discuss different Contrail use cases.
- Describe Contrail related solutions.
- Describe the functions of the Contrail vRouter.
- Describe the functions of the Contrail SDN Controller.
- Understand containerized Contrail modules.
- Explain the role of different node types in Contrail.
- Use Contrail troubleshooting tools.
- Describe available Contrail configuration methods.
- Configure Contrail Virtual DNS services.
- Create virtual networks.
- Create policies to control the flow of traffic.
- Use Contrail Configuration API.
- Explain how virtual and physical networks can be connected.
- Configure Floating IPs.
- Use physical gateway devices with Contrail.
- Configure physical devices with Device Manager.
- Use simple virtual gateway.
- Explain underlay connectivity without gateway.
- Explain Contrail integration with Kubernetes and OpenShift.
- Use BGP as a Service feature.
- Understand Graceful Restart Capabilities.
- Describe QoS support in Contrail.
- Understand Load Balancing as a Service.
- Describe vRouter support for DPDK, SR-IOV and SmartNICs.
- Understand Contrail Global Controller.
- Describe service chaining within Contrail.
- Understand service chains version 1 and version 2.
- Configure In-Network service chains.
- Configure Transparent service chains.
- Configure Source NAT.
- Use Heat to automate service deployment.
- Understand details of service chain routing.
- Use routing policies.
- Troubleshoot service chains.
- Explain the use of Docker containers in service chains.
- Describe Physical Network Function integration.
- Explain how to route traffic from physical network via Contrail service chain.
- Explain the functions of Contrail Analytics.
- Describe how to work with the Monitor workspace.
- Discuss how to run flow queries and examine system logs.
- Use Contrail Analytics API.
- Work with Contrail Alarms.
- Understand how to analyze live traffic with Contrail.
- Describe Underlay Overlay mapping.
- Explain the need for Contrail Security.
- Discuss multidimensional firewall policy configuration.
- Use tags and labels.
- Discuss traffic visualization with Contrail Security.
- Explain pre-installation tasks and roles.
- Describe Server Manager and Server Manager Lite.
- Describe Contrail installation using Server Manager Lite.
- Describe additional settings and operations.
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: SDN, NFV, and Contrail
- Review of SDN and NFV
- Contrail Solution Overview
Chapter 3: OpenStack Fundamentals
- OpenStack Overview
- OpenStack Projects
- Exploring OpenStack Installation and Using CLI
- Lab 1: Exploring OpenStack with the CLI
Chapter 4: OpenStack Configuration
- OpenStack Interface Options
- Using OpenStack Heat Templates
- OpenStack Configuration
- Lab 2: Configuring OpenStack
Chapter 5: Contrail Overview
- Contrail Use Cases
- Contrail Solution Overview
- Contrail Related Solutions
Chapter 6: Contrail Architecture Fundamentals
- Contrail Architecture Overview
- Contrail Management and Analytics
- Contrail Control Plane
- Contrail Data Plane
- Basic Contrail Troubleshooting
- Lab 3: Exploring and Troubleshooting the Contrail vRouter and SDN Controller
Chapter 7: Contrail Configuration Basics
- Contrail Configuration Methods
- vRouter Services
- Configuring Virtual Networks
- Configuring Network Policies and Security Groups
- Contrail API Python Library
- Lab 4: Virtual Networks and Policies
Chapter 8: Interacting with External Networks
- Connecting Virtual and Physical Networks
- Floating IPs
- Using Device Manager
- Configuring Simple Virtual Gateway
- Underlay Connectivity without Gateway
- Lab 5: Creating Floating IPs and Gateways
Chapter 9: Contrail Network Services
- Contrail and Container Networking
- BGP as a Service
- Graceful Restart Capabilities
- Implementing CoS
- Load Balancing as a Service Overview
- vRouter Support for DPDK and SR-IOV
- Contrail Global Controller Overview
- Lab 6: Contrail Network Services
Chapter 10: Contrail Service Chains
- Service Chaining Overview
- In-Network Service Chain and Configuration
- Transparent Service Chain and Configuration
- Configuring Source NAT
- Automating Service Chaining
- Lab 7: Creating Contrail Service Chains
Chapter 11: Advanced Service Chaining
- Advanced Operation
- Service Chain with Docker Containers
- Physical Network Function Integration
- NFV for ISP Case Study
- Lab 8: Advanced Service Chain Operation and Troubleshooting
Chapter 12: Contrail Monitoring and Analytics
- Analytics Overview
- Monitor > Infrastructure Workspace
- Monitor > Networking Workspace
- Flow Queries, Logs, and Statistics
- Configuring Contrail Analytics
- Analytics API
- Lab 9: Using Contrail Analytics
Chapter 13: Analyzing Network State and Traffic Flows
- Contrail Alarms
- Analyzing Live Traffic
- Underlay Overlay Mapping
- Lab 10: Analyzing Traffic Flows with Contrail Analytics
Chapter 14: Contrail Security
- The Need for Contrail Security
- Contrail Security Configuration
- Monitoring and Visualization
Chapter 15: Contrail Installation
- Pre-Installation and Roles
- Server Manager Overview
- Installation using Server Manager Lite
- Additional Settings and Operations
- Lab 11: Installing Contrail