Network Automation in the WAN (NA-WAN)
This four-day course is designed to introduce various Juniper NorthStar Controller and NorthStar Planner features including, but not limited to, topology discovery, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) label switched path (LSP) management, LSP optimization, LSP calendaring, maintenance scheduling, segment routing, troubleshooting, REST API, P2MP LSPs, failure simulation, reporting, network modeling, path demand placement, and hardware inventory. Students will learn to configure and monitor these features that exist on Juniper's NorthStar Controller and NorthStar Planner platforms with the help of a network built using vMX Series devices.
Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience configuring, monitoring, and analyzing the above features of the NorthStar Controller and Planner. This course is based on NorthStar Release 4.0.
This course benefits individuals responsible for managing MPLS networks that want to add automation using the NorthStar Controller and NorthStar Planner, including individuals in professional services, sales and support organizations, and the end users.
The following are the prerequisites for this courses:
- Understanding of the OSI model;
- Junos OS configuration experience—the Introduction to the Junos Operating System (IJOS) course or equivalent;
- Advanced MPLS knowledge—the Junos MPLS Fundamentals (JMF) course or equivalent.
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the various WAN domains.
- Describe the various WAN domains.
- Describe the use cases for NorthStar.
- Describe the use cases for NorthStar Planner.
- Describe the usage of PCEP.
- Describe RSVP signaling using the CSPF algorithm.
- Describe the NorthStar VMs and their processes.
- Describe the post installation setup process.
- Describe the behavior of topology discovery.
- Describe the configuration of IGP topology discovery.
- Describe the configuration of BGP-LS topology discovery.
- Describe how to access the NorthStar Controller Operator and Planner user interfaces.
- Describe the basic features of the NorthStar Controller Operator user interface.
- Describe the various LSP types.
- Configure PCC controlled LSPs.
- Configure PCE delegated LSPs.
- Configure PCE initiated LSPs.
- Monitor LSPs from the NorthStar Operator user interface.
- Describe primary, secondary, and standby LSPs.
- Describe symmetric pairs of LSPs.
- Describe diversity groups.
- Describe using Junos MPLS LSP templates.
- Describe LSP calendaring.
- Describe Inter-AS LSPs.
- Describe how to provision multiple LSPs.
- Describe LSP optimization.
- Explain the features, capabilities, and benefits of IP/MPLSView and how they work to optimize WAN design.
- Access IP/MPLSView and navigate and customize the IP/MPLSView administrative interface.
- Explain different methods of creating a network model.
- Manage different files that make up a network model and understand how these files are organized.
- Modify a network model by performing tasks such as adding links, nodes, and sites and save these changes to a modeled network.
- Optimize network demand paths, design diverse paths, and perform what-if scenarios to see how demands are routed.
- Simulate link and node failures and view the effects of these failures on demand routing across the WAN.
- Analyze and manage network information using the Report Manager interface.
- Perform hardware inventory using the IP/MPLSView interface.
- The WAN Network
- Juniper Network WAN Automation Overview
NorthStar Controller Architecture
- PCE Communication Protocol
- LSP Signaling and the CSPF Algorithm
- NorthStar Virtual Machines
- Initial Setup
- NorthStar Controller High Availability
- Lab 1: Initial Setup
- Topology Discovery Overview
- IGP Topology Discovery
- BGP-LS Topology Discovery
- Lab 2: Topology Discovery
Using the NorthStar Controller
- Operator User Interface Overview
- User Options
- More Options
- Planner User Interface Overview
- Lab 3: Using the NorthStar Controller
Basic LSP Management
- LSP Control Review
- Configuring PCC Controlled LSPs
- Configuring PCE Delegated LSPs
- Configuring PCE Initiated LSPs
- Verifying LSP Status
- Lab 4: Basic LSP Management
Advanced LSP Management
- Secondary and Standby LSPs
- Symmetric Pairs of LSPs
- Diversity Groups
- Junos MPLS LSP Templates
- LSP Calendaring
- Inter-AS LSPs
- Provisioning Multiple LSPs
- LSP Optimization
- Lab 5: Advanced LSP Management
- Segment Routing Overview
- Configuring a PCC to Support SR
- Managing SR LSPs
- Lab 6: Segment Routing
- P2MP LSP Overview
- NorthStar P2MP Configuration and Management
Maintenance Scheduling and NETCONF Provisioning
- Maintenance Scheduling
- NETCONF Provisioning
- Lab 7: Scheduling Maintenance and NETCONF Provisioning
Data Collection and Analytics
- Telemetry Architecture
- JTI Router Configuration
- LSP Routing Behavior
- Lab 8: Data Collection and Analytics
NorthStar Controller Troubleshooting
- Process Troubleshooting
- Log File Analysis
- Network Topology Troubleshooting
- Lab 9: NorthStar Controller Troubleshooting
- NorthStar Controller REST API Concepts
- REST API Examples
- Launching NorthStar Planner
- NorthStar Planner Interface
- Lab 10: NorthStar Planner Interface
NorthStar Planner Path Analysis and Design
- Optimize LSP Routing
- Diverse LSP Design
- Adding Network Demands, Links, Nodes
- Lab 11: NorthStar Planner Path Analysis and Design
Network Demand Placement and Outage Simulation
- Network Demand Placement
- Failure Simulation
- Lab 12: Demand Placement and Failure Simulation