Administering System Center Configuration Manager and Intune (90 Day) - On Demand (OD20696C)
Microsoft On Demand
Microsoft Official Courses On-Demand (MOC On-Demand) blend video, text, hands-on labs and knowledge checks to help you build your Microsoft technology skills?on your own schedule, at your own pace and in your own place. No need to spend time and money travelling to a classroom location or adhering to classroom hours?with a computer and an Internet connection, your Microsoft Official Courses On-Demand come to you, any time.
- Microsoft On Demand covers the same objectives as the classroom course by the same name
- After you activate your course, you have 3 months to complete it. You can work on your course at any time throughout the 3-month period after you activate the course.
This course is intended for experienced information technology (IT) professionals, typically described as Enterprise Desktop Administrators (EDAs). These EDAs deploy, manage, and maintain PCs, devices, and applications across medium, large, and enterprise organizations. A significant portion of this audience uses or intends to use System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager (Configuration Manager) and Microsoft Intune together, to manage and deploy PCs, devices, and applications. By using Configuration Manager with Microsoft Intune, the EDAs can also support either domain joined or non-domain joined Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) scenarios, mobile device management, and secure data access on common operating system platforms such as Windows 8.x, Windows Phone 8.x, Apple iOS, and Android.
Before attending this course, students must have working knowledge at the system-administrator level of the following:
- Networking fundamentals, including common networking protocols, topologies, hardware, media, routing, switching, and addressing.
- Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) principles and fundamentals of AD DS management.
- Installation, configuration, and troubleshooting for Windows-based personal computers.
- Basic concepts of public key infrastructure (PKI) security.
- Basic understanding of scripting and Windows PowerShell syntax.
- Basic understanding of Windows Server roles and services.
- Basic understanding of the configuration options for iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile device platforms.
Students who attend this training can meet the prerequisites by obtaining equivalent knowledge and skills through hands-on activities, or by attending the following courses:
Course 20697-1: Installing and Configuring Windows 10
Course 20697-2: Deploying and Managing Windows 10 Using Enterprise Services
Course 20411: Administering Windows Server® 2012
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the features Configuration Manager and Intune include, and explain how you can use these features to manage PCs and mobile devices in an enterprise environment.
- Prepare a management infrastructure, including configuring boundaries, boundary groups, and resource discovery, and integrating mobile-device management with Microsoft Exchange Server.
- Deploy and manage the Configuration Manager client.
- Configure, manage, and monitor hardware and software inventory, and use Asset Intelligence and software metering.
- Identify and configure the most appropriate method to distribute and manage content used for deployments.
- Distribute, deploy, and monitor applications for managed users and systems.
- Maintain software updates for PCs that Configuration Manager manages.
- Use Configuration Manager to implement Endpoint Protection.
- Manage configuration items, baselines, and profiles to assess and configure compliance settings and data access for users and devices.
- Configure an operating-system deployment strategy by using Configuration Manager.
- Manage mobile devices by using Configuration Manager and Intune.
- Manage and maintain a Configuration Manager site.
Module 1: Managing computers and mobile devices in the enterprise
This module describes the features that Configuration Manager and Intune include, and it details how you can use these solutions to manage PCs and mobile devices in an enterprise environment.
- Overview of systems management by using enterprise-management solutions
- Overview of the Configuration Manager architecture
- Overview of the Configuration Manager administrative tools
- Tools for monitoring and troubleshooting a Configuration Manager site
- Introduction to queries and reports
Module 2: Preparing the management infrastructure to support PCs and mobile devices
This module explains how to prepare the management infrastructure, including configuring boundaries, boundary groups, and resource discovery. Additionally it describes how Configuration Manager interacts with the Microsoft Exchange Server environment to discover and manage mobile devices.
- Configuring site boundaries and boundary groups
- Configuring resource discovery
- Configuring the Exchange Server Connector for mobile-device management
- Configuring user and device collections
Module 3: Deploying and managing clients
This module explains the supported operating systems and devices, the software requirements, and the different methods for installing the Configuration Manager client. This module also describes some of the default and custom client settings that you can configure. After installing the client software, you can configure the client settings to perform routine management tasks.
- Overview of the Configuration Manager client
- Deploying the Configuration Manager client
- Configuring and monitoring client status
- Managing client settings in Configuration Manager
Module 4: Managing inventory for PCs and applications
This module describes the inventory collection process. Additionally, it details how to configure, manage, and monitor hardware and software inventory, and use the Asset Intelligence and software metering features.
- Overview of inventory collection
- Configuring hardware and software inventory
- Managing inventory collection
- Configuring software metering
- Configuring and managing Asset Intelligence
Module 5: Distributing and managing content used for deployments
This module explains how to identify and configure the most appropriate method to distribute and manage content that is used for deployments.
- Preparing the infrastructure for content management
- Distributing and managing content on distribution points
Module 6: Deploying and managing applications
This module explains describes the methods for creating, deploying, and managing applications with Configuration Manager. Also it explains how to use the Software Center and the Application Catalog to install available applications and manage deployments on unconventional applications. In addition, it describes how to install Windows 10 apps and virtualized applications.
- Overview of application management
- Creating applications
- Deploying applications
- Managing applications
- Deploying virtual applications by using System Center Configuration Manager (optional)
- Deploying and managing Windows Store apps
Module 7: Maintaining software updates for managed PCs
This module explains how to use the software updates feature in Configuration Manager to implement an end-to-end management process for the complex task of identifying, deploying, and monitoring software updates to your Configuration Manager clients.
- The software updates process
- Preparing a Configuration Manager site for software updates
- Managing software updates
- Configuring automatic deployment rules
- Monitoring and troubleshooting software updates
Module 8: Implementing Endpoint Protection for managed PCs
This module explains how to use Configuration Manager to implement Endpoint Protection.
- Overview of Endpoint Protection in Configuration Manager
- Configuring, deploying, and monitoring Endpoint Protection policies
Module 9: Managing compliance and secure data access
This module explains how to manage configuration items, baselines, and profiles to assess and configure compliance settings and data access for users and devices.
- Overview of compliance settings
- Configuring compliance settings
- Viewing compliance results
- Managing resource and data access
Module 10: Managing operating-system deployments
This module explains how to use Configuration Manager to create a strategy for operating-system deployments.
- An overview of operating-system deployment
- Preparing a site for operating-system deployment
- Deploying an operating-system
Module 11: Mobile device management using Configuration Manager and Microsoft IntuneThis module explains how to manage mobile devices by using Configuration Manager and Intune.
- Overview of mobile-device management
- Managing mobile devices with on-premises infrastructure
- Managing mobile devices by using Configuration Manager and Intune
- Managing settings and protecting data on mobile devices
- Deploying applications to mobile devices
Module 12: Managing and maintaining a Configuration Manager site
This module explains how to use manage and maintain a Configuration Manager site. It describes role-based administration, Remote Tools, and the site maintenance tasks that you can manage by using Configuration Manager. Additionally it explains how to back up and recover a Configuration Manager site system.
- Configuring role-based administration
- Configuring remote tools
- Overview of Configuration Manager site maintenance
- Performing backup and recovery of a Configuration Manager site